California & Southwestern Plants : SDZG Library Resources
The cacti of the United States and Canada
By Lyman David Benson
Call no. QK495 .C11 B354 1982 MAIN
The California desert: an introduction to natural resources and man's impact (2 volume set)
Edited by June Latting and Peter Rowlands
Call no. QH104.5 .S62 C35 1995
California native plants for the garden
By Carol Bornstein
Call no. QK149 .B67 2005
California plant families: west of the Sierran crest and deserts
By Glenn Keator and Margaret J. Steunenberg
Call no. QK149 .K43 2009 MAIN
Ecology of Sonoran Desert plants and plant communities
Edited by Robert Hall Robichaux
Call no. QK142 .E36 1999 MAIN
A field guide to the common and interesting plants of Baja California
By Jeanette Coyle
Call no. QK211 .C8 1975 MAIN
Introduction to the geology of Southern California and its native plants
By Clarence A. Hall
Call no. QE89 .H34 2007 MAIN
Inventory of rare and endangered vascular plants of California
By James Payne Smith
Call no. QK86 .U6 I58 1994 REF
A Manual of California vegetation, 2nd ed.
By John O. Sawyer
Call no. QK149 .S29 2009
Trees and shrubs of the southwestern deserts
By Lyman David Benson
Call no. QK484 .S89 B46 1981
Cactus & Succulent Journal
California Native Plant Society Bulletin
California Native Plant Society Newsletter
Fremontia : Journal of the California Native Plant Society
Haseltonia: Yearbook of the Cactus & Succulent Society
Journal of the Arizona-Nevada Academy of Science
The Palm Journal (Palm Society of Southern California)
- California Department of Food and Agriculture -- California government website.
- California Invasive Plant Inventory -- Categorizes non-native invasive plants in the state.
- California Native Plant Society (CNPS) -- Conservation organization.
- CalPhotos - Plants -- A database containing over 167,000 photos of mostly California plants. Most photos contributed by St. Mary's College and the California Academy of Sciences. Developed by UC Berkeley Digital Library Project.
- Desert-Tropical's Useful Links -- List of online resources with California and Arizona focus.
- A Manual of California Vegetation Online -- Classification, distribution, regional variation, and life histories of California vegetation; plant communities; fire and flood data; restoration. From CNPS.
- Jepson Online Interchange -- Checklist and distribution maps of California plants.
- Natural Resource Projects Inventory -- Data on California's natural resources.
- Pollinator Friendly Planting Guides -- Guides that will help you build a pollinator habitat in your yard. Created by Pollinator Partnership.
- PRESCRIBE Online Database -- Database helps pesticide applicators find out if there are any endangered species in the vicinity of the application site. From the California Department of Pesticide Regulation.
- San Diego Botanic Garden -- Formerly known as Quail Botanical Gardens.
- San Diego County Plant Atlas -- Online resource provided by San Diego Natural History Museum.
- Southwest Exotic Plant Information Clearinghouse -- SWEPIC provides information on the distribution and ecology of native and exotic weeds in the southwest. Cooperative effort between USGS, NPS, and Northern Arizona University.
- Taxonomy of California Plants -- Based on SDSU course taught by Dr. Michael G. Simpson.
Databases & Fact Sheets
- National Native Plant Bibliography -- Hosted by Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.
- CalFlora -- Information on wild California plants.
- Rare Plants of San Diego County -- Species accounts prepared by Craig H. Reiser.
- The Succulent Plant Page -- Contains photos and basic identifying information of succulents.