Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is ILL? How does it work?
The Interlibrary Loan (ILL) program provides access to books and articles that are not available at our library. When you submit a request to us, we identify potential suppliers and put the request into the system. Nearly always, we'll receive the book loan or copy of an article or chapter, which we'll forward to you. You are responsible for returning a book loan to us before the due date, so we can get it back to the lending library on time.
How to request a book, chapter, or section
- First, look in our catalog to see if we have the book at the SDZWA Library.
- If yes, "Request Hold" on the catalog page, or email or call us (760-747-8702 x5736).
- If the book is not in the catalog, please send us an ILL request by email.
- Include name, department, and the full citation (author, title, journal, volume, pages, year).
- If you only want a chapter or section, please include the chapter number and/or page numbers.
How to request a journal article
- First, look in our journal holdings list to find out if access is available through the SDZWA Library.
- If yes, follow the links to find the issue and article, then click the PDF icon or link to download.
- If we don't have a subscription to that journal or issue, please send us an ILL request by email.
- Include name, department, and full citation (author, title, journal, volume, pages, year, doi).
- The average wait time is 1-2 weeks for books, a little less for articles.
- If the need is urgent, please let us know -- we may be able to request expedited service.
Receiving ILL items
- Book loans
- We'll send the book to you by interoffice mail, or you can pick it up if you're nearby.
- Articles, book chapters and sections
- PDFs will be forwarded to you by email.
- A print copy is occasionally provided instead -- we'll send it to you by interoffice mail, or you can pick it up.
Returning and renewing ILL books
- Book checkout times and renewal policies
- The due date will be shown on an insert included with the book (please leave this in the book).
- Checkout and renewal policies are set by the lending library. Not all libraries allow renewals.
- Please return an ILL book prior to the due date, to avoid late fees!
- How to return or renew an ILL book
- Send the book to us by interoffice mail (Library/Beckman), or drop it off M-F 8:00am - 4:30pm.
- Renewals aren't guaranteed, but we can request one if you contact us before the due date.
Do I need to pay for ILL?
- ILL services are generally provided at no cost to staff.
- The SDZWA Library pays for most work-related loans.
- We'll let you know if we can't find the material at a reasonable price (generally $0-$15.00 per loan).
Please email or call us at (760) 747-8702 x5736.
SDZWA Library Links
Home page, San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance Library
SDZWA Library's online public-access catalog - SDZWA team members may request books for delivery via interoffice mail
Journals available to team members through the SDZWA Library - search contents, view library holdings, access full text
Article databases available through the SDZWA Library; journal information
Portal to the SDZWA Library's detailed, fully referenced animal fact sheets
Priority Species Information
Custom literature searches and fact sheets for current priority species — for SDZWA team members, onsite access only
SDZWA Research Publications
Peer reviewed and scientific works by San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance staff.
Portal to the SDZWA Library's research guides: Animals, Animal Welfare, Conservation, Plants, Reference, Veterinary Medicine, Zoos & Aquariums
Email the librarians at email@example.com
SDZWA Research Guides
Guide to finding animal information online and at the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance Library
Guide to finding animal welfare, training, and enrichment information, online and at the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance Library.
Guide to finding conservation information, online and at the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance Library
Guide to finding plant, plant conservation, and botanical garden information, online and at the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance Library
Guide to finding veterinary and biomedical information, online and at the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance Library
Zoos & Aquariums
Guide to zoo & aquarium information, online and at the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance; natural history museum links