Native to: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay and Peru
Distribution: Found from sea level to 12,800 ft (4300 m) Rarely 16,000 ft (5,300 m)
- Argentina: range covers most of Patagonia but is highly fragmented.
- Restricted to western half of central and northern Argentina, along the pre-Andes and Andean mountains to Bolivian border (Baigún et al. 2007).
- Chile: most are concentrated in the Magallanes and Aysén regions in the south (highest number on Tierra del Fuego island) and Tarapaca region in the north.
- Bolivia - remnant population in the Chaco region (Cuéllar and Fuentes 2000). Some in southern highlands between Potosi and Chuquisaca (Nuñez, unpublished data).
- Paraguay - remnant population in the northwestern Chaco (Villalba 2004).
- Peru - northernmost part of guanaco distribution.